Alex: Hey, Morgen, I'm registered for a half marathon this Saturday, but I'm not ready for it--wanna run it for me?
Morgen: Really?. . . Sure!!
(flash to internal dialogue: "Of course I haven't run more than 2-3 miles in about six months. This could be a major mistake and destroy my knees. But, on the other hand, I'd feel really cool and I'm curious to know if I could just up and run 13 miles with one week of training)
So, this was my test: If I could run six miles pushing Lucy and Emma up and down the hills of my neighborhood, I could run 13 miles of a flat course. It wasn't easy, but I did it, and with a run/walk approach, I wasn't even in pain. So, with one week of training I went for it! It was a really fun course, and I plan on doing it again next year. It was so cool to run by the Capitol building and the White House, really an ideal way to see the city. I stuck to my plan, choosing to ignore it when I got passed by a pregnant woman. Even though my pride surged a bit sometimes when I stopped to walk, I often remembered the scripture "Run with patience the race set before you," and knew that I was going to run this race my way and only I knew where I was coming from. If I tried to ignore the fact that I only trained for a week and tried to run it like I'd been building up mileage for months, I was going to destroy myself. So, I stuck with my plan, finished in a decent time and felt like the queen of the world.
Plus there were lots of fun activities for the kids. Isaac got to run the last leg of a marathon that kids had been running bits at a time over the last six months. Plus there were lots of different obstacle courses and fun activities for the kids!
No comments:
Post a Comment