Monday, January 18, 2010

Happy Happy Birthday Emma Dear!

Emma's first year of life has been a crazy one for the rest of us. When she was just a few months old, Daman broke both elbows and tore ligaments in both wrists and so was pretty helpless for several months. Then came several months of unemployment, a move, and a few other hairy ups and downs. But through it all, there has been one little gummy, steady, ray of joy--and that is Emma. From birth, she has been a calm and happy influence in our home. I am so grateful that the Lord sent her to us. Something in her sparkle just lightens my heart, even as I'm taping back together the 100th book she's destroyed, pulling her out of the toilet. . . again, or waking up with her at 5:30 am so she can crawl all over me while I pretend to get a little more sleep. Through all that, she delights us. Lucy makes her laugh, Isaac puts her on the couch and sometimes remembers to get her off again, and noone can make her smile like her Daddy. She is walking and talking and making us all laugh. Happy Birthday Sweet Emma!



Emma loves pureed pumpkin, so I made her pumpkin bread for her "cake." I made two loaves and Daman took over from there. It was kind of supposed to look like a baby's face, but who cares what it looks like--it is made out of pumpkin, butter, sugar, and covered in a divine whipped cream cheese frosting. It could be shaped like Rhode Island for all Emma cared.


Emma didn't even really dig the bread/cake--mostly she was thrilled at the chance to use a spoon all by her lonesome. She and the ice cream had quite the adventure.

She wants more. . I can see it in her eyes. She has started doing the sign for "more" but she uses it for everything which makes it really difficult to understand. We figure she just uses it whenever she doesn't necessarily like what it going on at that moment and she just wants a change. Not that she knows what that change is, but she expects me to figure that out. I think we're all like that sometimes.





1 comment:

Deanne said...

She's such a cutie. Happy Birthday Emma!