Sunday, December 27, 2009

Snowed In!!

This was the perfect blizzard. Lots of powdery snow + no ice = Lots of lovely scenery and cancellations without any power outages. It was awesome. There were two bummers that came with the snow. First, we couldn't get to our cabin we'd rented for our old-fashioned Christmas adventure. And second, my mom couldn't come up for Christmas. But, we had a wonderful time anyway!! It was so beautiful and exciting.
I had just told Isaac about the time when I was a kid and school was cancelled for a week because of an ice storm so we had to walk to the grocery store. He really wanted that experience, so even though we didn't really need anything, we made the hike to Wegman's just for fun. That backpack was a lot heavier on the way home--what a great idea to buy apples and milk!!! The drifts came up to my thighs and Isaac embraced every possible opportunity to fling himself into the snow facefirst. It was an awesome adventure.


Daman reliving his old Illinois days by building a super cool snow cave. I went in. . . once. The tunnel in was a little too claustrophobic for me. No idea why people do caving. Wackos.

Lucy giving her "Primary" talk. Church was cancelled since everyone was buried in snow so we had our own little Primary. It was so awesome! Here's a summary:
Conducting: Daman
Opening Song: Popcorn Popping (Lucy's choice)
Opening Prayer: Isaac
Welcome--everyone got the Hello song
Birthdays--we pretended it was Lucy and Isaac's birthday so they each got a sticker and a tootsie roll
Scripture: Lucy (2nd Article of Faith)
Talk: Isaac (He recited the 8th Article of Faith and said he liked it because it says the scriptures are true)
Singing Time: Daman, complete with Fast/Slow and Quiet/Loud signs for the songs
Sharing Time: Morgen; we talked about the Parable of the Ten Virgins and made little "lamps" out of playdough and put drops of oil (that looked alot like beans) in as we talked about things we can do to be ready when Jesus comes again
Closing Song: Nephi's Courage (Isaac's choice)
Closing Prayer: Lucy
It was a really sweet experience and I am so glad we did it. I love my children so much and cherish these moments with them. I am so grateful for a free blogspot that gives me a place to preserve these memories without touching a three ring binder or a gluestick.




2 comments:

kat reynolds said...

We are so jealous. I showed the kids the pictures of the snow and they can't stop talking about it. When will we see you again?

Erin said...

I still have a stack of 10 folders of already sorted pictures that need a three-ring binder and glue stick. They start with a trip to Peru I took in '98, go through with my wedding in '03, to the Grand Canyon in '04. There they sit. And here I sit updating my life currently in photos and prose.