There are no computers, fonts, photo-cropping mysteries, inexplicable deleting keyboards, or other things that make me feel insecure about my personal accomplishments. Let me prove myself by building a fire. Give me a bucket to haul water and let me sit by a stream and show how deep I am by reading Thoreau or Austen. Then I can feel good about myself, right? I do appreciate computers. I love having our two week menu plan and grocery shopping list saved on the computer for easy planning. I love having kids journals typed and sitting neatly on the shelf. I adore email for sending quick notes and avoiding phone calls at all costs. I know it is just me, but my kids have some kind of phone switch that immediately flips them to loud and needy mode when they see a phone hit my ear. Does that switch come standard? Can I opt out on this next one in exchange for a mute button? Anyway, computers have their wonderful place in my life and I am grateful for them. I just wish I could magically know how to do everything I want to do. And I wish I had the self-control I am always trying to help Isaac have so I wouldn't grown at the computer with clenched fists and regress back to my childhood. Do as I say. . . .
So, I think I shall have to request a tutorial from my blogging expert sister-in-law, Kat. Hers are truly amazing. I've come to realize everyone has something that is truly amazing about them, that to the rest of us, looks like they were just born doing. I constantly remind myself not to resent that, but to embrace it and be grateful for it. My life is the better for it. And hopefully my blog will be as well.
Back to the woods. I am growing itchy to move on from Northern Virginia. The metro is exciting, the museums are great, and we are surrounded by wonderful friends. Isaac has this little buddy that lives just behind us and he adores the fact that he can scramble over the fence all by himself to visit him. I went out in the backyard the other day to hear them screaming at each other asking each other over to play. It really is a fantastic set-up, except that there are no streams for me to sit by, or at least none that I don't have to sit in traffic to get to. I crave the space and sounds of the mountains. Daman and I go back and forth on whether the desired mountains will be those of the quaint Eastern kind or the majestic Western variety, but I hope to be living closer to nature soon. For now I'll count the two little wild creatures that run around here as nature enough.
No comments:
Post a Comment