Sunday, October 26, 2008

East or West??

When is the last time you had this much fun in a bathtub? Lucy's mohawk is a bit more impressive than Isaac's. Her mane is getting pretty long these days--I've even produced a ponytail, but not a nice, neat one. I have no idea how other mothers get their girls to sit still to do their hair in these intricate bows and weaves and braids. I did pigtails for the first time this week and that is about the extent of my stylistic prowess when it comes to her locks. Poor girl--she got a mother that has no patience for doing hair. That would explain my hair either being chopped off or pulled back in a ponytail. I am determined to grow it out again, by the way--a decision which brought great derision and doubting from Daman this morning. But, I long to have long medieval hair again. I do like the short look, but just like the feel of brushing my hair too. Extensions, perhaps?
A while back, while I was getting pampered by my mother, Daman took the kids down to our old stomping grounds in Buena Vista, Virginia, for Southern Virginia College's Homecoming. For those in the loop, I am fully aware that it is now Southern Virginia University, but stand my ground on that absurdity of that decision and stoicly make my protest by refusing to acknowledge it. Anyway, he had a marvelous time, breathing in the blue ridge air and glorying in the small town charm of it all. I've seen pictures from the trip--none that he took--and it fills me with longing to return. Daman will hopefully be finishing up with school in June or so and if I get my druthers we will be heading a'south when that time comes. But, we might be westward ho as well--dry summers are awfully tempting. It is difficult to be in a time of so many unknowns, but we are blessed with agency, opportunity, and a healthy family that will be with us wherever we go so I consider us pretty lucky. Sure, it would be nice to have some paths settled on, but where would the mystery be in that? Who cares where we move in nine months? Let's just all jump in the bathtub and make bubble mohawks--let tomorrow worry about itself.

1 comment:

ariannet said...

Hey guys! Its fun to see your cute family and catch up on what you are doing! It's been a long time since we've seen you!

Annie and Frank