Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Arcimboldo

Arcimboldo is a 16th Century painter known for creating hodge-podge portraits from objects. He was brought to life in "Boldo" a character from the movie "Tale of Desperaux"
Right now Arcimboldo's work is on display in the National Gallery of Art downtown. So, we decided to capitalize on that opportunity. For school one day, we looked at pictures of Arcimboldo's paintings and learned about him and then created a work of art of our own.
Behold. . . . Tigress (or Tigara if you ask Lucy)



This picture doesn't do it justice, and perhaps it is no Arcimboldo, but I was really impressed and it was such a fun project. Lucy picked out what food to put in her belly, Isaac designed her hair, cutting out several different types of hair, and drew a pokeball for her to hold in her hand. One foot had several different shoes that Isaac cut out, the other was just a bare foot picture I found (I am also to blame for the busty sports bra chest shot--it was the best I could do). It was interesting to watch what the kids came up with. I think Arcimboldo would be proud. And then of course, we went to see the real masterpieces.

It was a day that made me love homeschooling and living in Northern Virginia. There are so many talented folks in the world, I am grateful for the opportunity to learn about them.

No comments: