Tuesday, May 19, 2009

A Bike, A Break (Two Actually), A Baby, A Blessing

So, for those who have not heard, while we were down in Florida for Emma's blessing, Daman went on a little bike ride with Reese. I heard the first twenty minutes were really fun. Until Daman was launched off his bike onto his head with only his poor arm bones between his skull and the rocks below. The bones kept him from breaking his neck, for which I am truly grateful, but it came with a price. He fractured both elbows, and even with a helmet, sustained a concussion serious enough to cause some scary short term memory loss. He was very confused when he found himself in Florida and when Reese reminded him he was there for Emma's blessing, he responded, "Emma? Emma? I know Isaac and Lucy. . " Very scary. He is recovering nicely, but for several days there I had four children. Daman couldn't feed, bathe, or dress himself. (I would like to mention here that concussions and pain medication mercifully cause constipation. . . if you get my meaning) But, when the doc told him no casts were necessary and the best thing he could do was to take off the slings as much as possible, my tough guy cast off those wussy slings and began a quest for full mobility recovery. I am lucky to have a husband that doesn't milk injuries--I think he'd still be playing the bathing card if possible though.

In any case, though he couldn't (and still can't!) hold Emma, he did remember her name in time to give her a blessing. We gathered at Reese and Kat's home and it was a sweet and wonderful experience. I am so grateful that so many people love my children. I am grateful that Daman is alive. I am grateful for righteous men in my life who hold the Priesthood of God to bless my husband on a bike trail and my precious baby girl in his arms. Emma is a sweet, gentle soul who has brought so much to our home. She has started squealing and squawking and we can't get enough. Isaac adores her, Lucy sings to her, and Daman and I just look at her and smile. We are very blessed. Even with two broken elbows.



My mom brought this dress (she came all the way from NC!!) and I absolutely love it--especially the darling bonnet.
Wonderful Grandparents!! Daman is trying to hide his slings here.

5 comments:

MaShay & Jason said...

Mo. You look beautiful!!! I am glad I read and got to see some pictures of all the fun we missed!

Deanne said...

Oh no, that's awful - both elbows! I love the pic with Damon in two arm slings. How did he do anything?!

On the flip side, Morgen you look great! I love your dress; the colors are beautiful on you!

Jean said...

The pictures of you and Emma are beautiful and there is Daman, smiling, even with all he went thru...amazing! I love am so glad Daman is OK and I am so grateful for the priesthood...it gives us great comfort when challenging times happen! We love your family!!!

Anonymous said...

Hi - I've looked at your blog several times in the past few weeks - but am sure grateful you all were here and appreciate it so much, as here I am all alone in Florida and I enjoy the memories - Love, mom reynolds

Angi Reynolds said...

Love it!