Having lost our camera over Thanksgiving--not lost so much as somehow it appears to have magically disappeared into the cosmos, because we knew exactly where it was and then it spontaneously removed itself to an undisclosed location. Perhaps Dick Cheney stole it. In any case, our blog has been a tad slow of late. So I figured an update, albeit a pictureless one, was due.
We had a wonderful, quiet Christmas at home. It was our first Christmas at home just with our family, and we really enjoyed it. We hung the Christmas mystery blanket to hide the stockings and then enjoyed a Christmas oatmeal breakfast while I read the Christmas story. Our first married Christmas I was introduced to the cruel Reynolds tradition of breakfast before the presents. Shocking, isn't it? It might have been an easier transition if the breakfast had been some delightful waffles, but they made me wait for cracked wheat! But, I have now embraced the idea and actually enjoyed the breakfast and it made the whole morning much better I believe. And since oatmeal is the favorite food of both my kids then it was just a perfect kickoff to the happy day.
We relished every present--easy since there weren't many, and then headed over to my sister's to have Grandma presents. And it was at this point our lives changed forever. Grandma Lulu presented us with a Wii, complete with the Wii Fit balance board. It has been a constant happy presence in our lives. Daman loves the balance games, I have become a Wii yogi, and Isaac is a proficient bowler. Lucy just loves saying, "Play Wii??" and standing on the board. She tried hula hooping the other day, but besides some cute bum wiggling, didn't get far.
I, however, hulahooped for about an hour trying to jumpstart labor. Right before Christmas Daman and I started crunching numbers and realized that if we could convince this baby to come before 2009, we would save thousands on our deductible and Uncle Sam would kick in an extra bonus to boot. So, I was on the Wii marching and spinning and jumping all I could. I walked and walked and walked. Spicy food, trampolines, we did it all. Then, on New Year's Eve, in one herculean effort at dilation, I downed a castor oil cocktail with orange juice and sparkling grape juice. Then, I hopped back on the Wii board for more hulahooping. Nada. I threw up, but nothing else, or rather noone else, made an appearance. I was really disappointed. I was also really really sore. So, the next two days I just rested and accepted my fate. I know the baby will come when she is good and ready, and I refuse to think about how much more it will cost us at this point.
Really the money was my only motivation for trying to speed things up. I feel really blessed to be very comfortable for this late in the gestational game. I'm in no hurry. Yesterday I cooked all day and now have our freezer stocked with dinner for the entire month. The car seat and bassinet are up and ready. This week I will make a pinata for Ike's big 5th birthday bash at the end of the month and we'll pretty much be ready for baby. I am so excited to see her and meet her and welcome her to our family.
So, that is how we rang in the new year. I am excited for 2009. It will bring a baby, a graduation, a job, probably a move, and hopefully a mortgage. I feel the Lord's hand in our lives and I am grateful for the lessons in faith, patience, and prayer that He is giving me. I love Him and I trust Him and I hope this year to become more of what He knows I can become. As part of that, I announce a parallel blog, if interested. I'm taking this year to "selfishly" dedicate to my health, and I plan to keep regular notes on my progress and personal journey to a higher level of discipline and self-care. Feel free to check in. The address is: http://www.timeformo.blogspot.com/ (Get it? Mo as in Morgen and clever slang for "more"? I know, I'll be here all week.) This is mostly for my own benefit, but if you find it entertaining and/or enlightening, all the better. Happy 2009!!
PS--We have ordered another camera, so adorable pictures and far more interesting blogs shall be forthcoming.
2 comments:
Ah, yes. The Wii does change everything. We got a Wii Fit for Christmas as well. Have you tried figuring out your Wii Fit age yet? Personally, I think it's a bunch of baloney because Jeff was the only one who was actually younger than his real age. Jeff, of all people!!!
And I also joined in the post-breakfast-Christmas-present-opening tradition when I married into Jeff's family. But at least we get to rip into our stockings first. Do you have to be completely dressed and ready for the day as well?
Best wishes for your "new you." I predict you'll lose at least 15 pounds within the month!
We made it all the way until last year when we, too, got sucked into the fun world of Wii. We have yet to try Wii fit, but Wii boxing is enough of a workout for me!
PS I enjoy reading of your goals, reflections, and accomplishments!
Post a Comment