Monday, November 3, 2008

The Gold Belted Master



Oh how I wish we had used our video more to capture this day. We signed Isaac up for Tae Kwon Do several months ago and it has been a marvelous thing for him. Pictured above with Isaac is Master Lightfoot. He and his wife, Janet, run the studio and do a really stellar job. From the beginning, they set goals and challenges for even their youngest kickers. Isaac had to memorize and recite the "student creed" before getting his white belt. I imagine that it comes standard with the uniform, but they set it aside as something to earn in a simple way early on, in an attempt to reinforce the idea of goal-setting and the confidence that comes with achievement. They really focus on character and respect and I've seen Isaac's confidence really blossom through the experience. He had to go through four tests to earn four stripes on his belt and then test for his gold belt. For his test he had to perform all the required kicks and punches that he'd tested on thusfar, then perform "Kamsah," a ten-move form, and recite another, longer student creed. He was shaky and less focused than we'd like, but he did his very best and we were really proud of him. He shone on his recitations and his confidence rallied from there. He was so excited to earn that new belt. Exciting for him. . . palpitating anxiety for me. Good grief, I could barely take the strain of watching my four year old take his first belt test, and Daman wants to encourage him to wrestle someday? Unless I harness some serious meditation skills, I could never endure a wrestling match. I imagine I would thrash more than the competitors.



The test was an exciting part of the day, but the true entertainment came at graduation later that evening. . . .

Picture this: Behind this portrait of focus that is Isaac stand about twenty other graduates, several are receiving their black belts and a few their second degree black belts. So, it is understood that they are a bit more trained and disciplined than our little four year old. Oh, and they are also a whole lot louder. So when Master Lightfoot commands (and I do mean command--this guy is intense) them to all go through "Kamsah" together, suddenly little Isaac is overwhelmed by the speed and sound that surrounds him. It was hilarious watching our little guy spin around, trying his best to get through the moves but completely undone by the distractions around him. He was moving in completely the opposite direction of everyone else at one point. Luckily, that was just the practice round and by the time he performed with the group at graduation, he'd loosened up a little and was generally going in the right direction. At the end of the demonstrations, each graduate was to come up to receive their belt and diploma. Master Lightfoot told them beforehand the procedure: He was putting a yellow tape on the ground that they would come to and stand on to shake his hand and receive their awards. Cue Isaac. He saunters up and stands just to the side of Master Lightfoot. Here's the script:

Master Lightfoot: "Isaac, find the yellow tape."

Isaac (looks around, locates the tape as asked and taps it with his foot to help poor lost Master Lightfoot)

Laughter

Master Lightfoot: "Get on the tape."

Isaac (stands on tape and bows)

Master Lightfoot hands diploma and belt to Isaac, who grabs it with right hand. This proves to make the standard handshake rather difficult and as Isaac attempts to transfer his prizes to the left hand, he drops his belt (this is a no-no)

More Laughter

Master Lightfoot: "Pick it up Isaac"

Isaac: "I need you to fold it for me"

It becomes clear that this is not going to happen. So Isaac puts his diploma on the ground to recover the belt.

Master Lightfoot: "Now, pick that up, Isaac--you worked hard for that!"

Lots More Laughter

Finally Isaac gets everything in the right hands and shakes hands with the Master and returns to his seat, the newest crowned gold belt in the bunch. The celebration was then topped off by a potluck buffet and running around like crazy in the studio because he never gets to do that in class. It was a wonderful day for Isaac. He is such a bright, happy, energetic kid. I am often too hard on him. He is creative and sensitive and so much fun. I am so grateful that he has had this experience. Should we move, it would definitely be missed. Next stop, orange belt.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, So joyful to read these stories. I wish I could have been there to witness Isaac's special day. Love you guys. Mom Reynolds Congratulations, Isaac!

teachergirl said...

he's SO big. i can't believe it.

i think i knew from the beginning that he was going to be a sensitive kid. you could just tell because he was such a good baby.

watch out in about...12 or 13 years. he's going to be a HEARTBREAKER. and he won't even realize it because he'll just love everyone. oh boy. :)

Jean said...

I loved reading all about Isaac and his gold belt! Good for him...we are proud of him...he is getting so big!